PURCELLVILLE, Va., August 12, 2020 — The Purcellville Parks and Recreation Division is excited to introduce Purcellville Rocks, is a scavenger hunt for painted rocks in parks, trails, and other places in the Town of Purcellville. The scavenger hunt will start on Saturday, August 15 and end on October 4, 2020. Ten participants of Purcellville Rocks will win two $10 vouchers to use at any of the Purcellville businesses participating in the voucher program. A second drawing for another set of two $10 vouchers will be held for all who correctly answer the bonus question on the registration form. We encourage all to join in this fun, family-friendly activity.
Information about how to participate in the scavenger hunt is below.
- Twenty rocks have been painted specifically for this challenge.
- Every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday, from August 15 through September 28, a new painted rock will be placed in one of the parks, trails, or other public places in Purcellville.
- A photo of the painted rock will be posted on the Purcellville Parks and Recreation Facebook page at 10 a.m. each of the days and along with a clue about where it is located.
- Find the painted rock.
- Take a photo holding the rock and post it in the comments section of the post on the Purcellville Parks and Recreation Facebook page for that specific rock (this is optional, but will add to the fun).
- Find the secret unique code on the bottom of the rock and write it down. Keep track of all the codes you find to be able to register for a chance to win the prize.
- Put the rock back in the same place for others to find.
- Repeat for all twenty of the painted rocks.
Between September 28 and October 4, 2020, complete the online registration form where you will write in all twenty codes for a chance to win two $10 vouchers. Only one form may be submitted per family/household. Ten winners will be randomly drawn from submissions with all twenty codes correctly listed.
Answer the bonus question on the registration form for an extra chance to win two $10 vouchers.
The Purcellville Parks and Recreation Division will put out one painted rock at a time and leave those that were previously placed in their original location. By September 28, all twenty rocks will be hidden in Purcellville. The online registration form to enter all twenty codes will be available from August 15 at 8 a.m. through October 4 at 5 p.m. The link to the registration form will be available on the Events and Activities page of the Town website and posted on the Purcellville Parks and Recreation Facebook page on Monday, September 28.
Thank you to local artist Marion Esposito for painting the twenty rocks for this effort.
Be sure to check the Purcellville Parks and Recreation Facebook page for daily posts with activities, historical information, feature videos, and more, which are all part of the Purcellville Strong initiative.