NEWS RELEASE Contact: Major Dave Dailey
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-338-7422x102
BUILDING SECURITY REMINDERS
PURCELLVILLE, Va. (January 31, 2020) — The Purcellville Police Department (PPD) would like to remind all businesses, churches, and organizations in Town to please review your building security measures, and ensure those procedures are being followed. In light of the recent burglaries which have occurred in businesses in Loudoun County, please ensure your security protocols are up to date, understood by all staff/members, and properly utilized. Our officers have increased their foot patrols and building checks, especially in the evening hours and throughout our business locations, but we ask that you evaluate your security procedures and confirm they are being correctly implemented.
Below are a few reminders regarding crime prevention measures applicable to all types of buildings. If you have questions regarding the safety and security for your establishment, please contact Deputy Chief Dave Dailey at 540-338-7422 x 102 or email@example.com for assistance.
- Ensure all security measures are taken when departing your building for the day, such as locking doors and windows.
- If there is an alarm system in your building, confirm it is being utilized.
- Verify any security camera systems are in working order, in use, and that cameras are properly mounted to give the most coverage of the buildings.
- Make certain that strict security maintenance over keys, passcodes, etc. is followed. Ensure all keys are accounted for; if not, then locks should be re-keyed. If a staff member discontinues employment with your business under negative circumstances, also consider re-keying exterior doors.
- Provide adequate lighting on exterior doors, windows, and parking lots.
- Trim foliage from exterior doors and windows.
- Signs on windows should not block more than 10% of the view of the interior of the building.
- Ensure the least amount of cash necessary is left on the premise.
- Valuable items should be secured in a safe, which should be bolted to the floor.
- Confirm deadbolt locks are adequate, and tempered steel latches should be bolted into the door frames at minimum 1 inch.
- Exterior door hinges should not be accessible from the outside.
- Consider adding protective window film for plate glass windows.
The Town of Purcellville, Virginia
“Purcellville-your small Town, where history and progress intersect and people prosper,” is an award-winning town of over 10,000 residents located in Loudoun County, approximately 50 miles west of Washington, DC. Having received the prestigious Siemens Sustainability Award for Small Communities, Purcellville continues to be honored for its green initiatives with most recently being the Tree City USA recipient for the 12th year. The Town was reaffirmed as a AAA rated community by S&P Global Ratings, the highest credit rating possible, and is recognized as one of the safest towns in Virginia. Once a stop along the W&OD rail line, which has been converted to a multi-use trail from Alexandria, VA to Purcellville, the Town has maintained its historic old-town feel through the restoration and maintenance of its many downtown structures, reflecting the Victorian architecture popular during the early 1900s. Today, Purcellville is the economic hub of western Loudoun County and a popular weekend destination for antiquing, equestrian activities, farmer’s markets, wineries, breweries, distilleries and restaurants. More info at www.purcellvilleva.gov.