PURCELLVILLE, Va. October 5, 2017—Bring your family to the Chapman DeMary Trail from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, October 22 for the annual Purcellville Green Expo, called Hail to the Trail. Explore this 10-acre area—considered to be the last stand of old-growth forest in the Town, meet local nature experts, participate in fun, hands-on activities to learn about nature and the environment, hear live music performed by Willie White, enjoy guided nature walks, see live animals, and more! During the event, the Town of Purcellville will kick off its participation in the nationwide Mayors’ Monarch Pledge and celebrate Arbor Day with a proclamation and tree planting, and The Nature Generation will announce winners of the McGranaghan Stewardship Award.
Here is a list of the organizations and fun activities you will be able to enjoy at Hail to the Trail:
- Audubon Naturalist Society--discover creek critters
- Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship--nature walks
- Boy Scout Troop 961--Teaching about Leave No Trace
- Girl Scout Cadette Troop 1420 and Cadette Troop 6287--Loudoun Rocks Project
- Girl Scout Service Unit 70-6
- Girl Scout Troop 70003—presentation of little free library
- Keep Loudoun Beautiful--trash your trash
- Loudoun County Tree Stewards--learn about trees and take a tree walk
- Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy--discover monarchs and more
- The Nature Generation
- Plant NoVa Natives
- Purcellville Arts Council--a nature art project
- Purcellville Parks and Recreation Advisory Board--nature memory game
- Purcellville Tree and Environment Sustainability Committee--Mayors' Monarch Pledge, Community Gardens, Seed Exchange Program and more
- Virginia Department of Forestry—learn about trees and the benefit of forests
- Wildlife Ambassadors—see and learn about live animals that you might come across in our area
- More are joining, so check back for updates!
- The Chapman DeMary Trail is managed through a partnership among Loudoun Valley High School, the Nature Generation, the Piedmont Environmental Council, and the Town of Purcellville. Get more information at www.PurcellvilleVa.gov and follow the Hail to the Trail facebook page for updates.
The Purcellville Tree and Environment Committee is a standing committee that focuses on all aspects of environmental programs, sustainability ideas, enhancement of the tree canopy, and continuation of the Town's Tree City USA designation.