Purcellville Bike and Safety Day
Be part of the Purcellville Bike and Safety Day on Saturday, May 14 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.! Activities will be held at the Loudoun Valley High School (LVHS) parking lot (340 N. Maple Ave) and the Purcellville Safety Center (500 N. Maple Ave). Purcellville Bike and Safety Day is jointly hosted by the Purcellville Police Department, the Town of Purcellville Parks and Recreation, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, the Purcellville Volunteer Fire Company, and the Purcellville Volunteer Rescue Squad. The events include the following:
9:00 a.m. at the LVHS parking lot
- Pedal Purcellville is a family fun ride and bike decorating contest
- Check in is at 9:00 a.m.
- Prizes will be awarded for the top three winners
- Family-fun ride will commence at 10:30 a.m. and will start at the LVHS parking lot, turning left on North Maple Ave, right on Main Street, right onto 21st Street, right onto the W&OD Trail, then back to the LVHS parking lot.
- Participation in the Pedal Purcellville family fun ride and bicycle decorating contest require registration.
- To participate, please complete the form at https://purcellvilleva.gov/FormCenter/Parks-and-Rec-Forms-2/2022-Pedal-Purcellville-Registration-138.
Bike Safety Rodeo
9:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. at the LVHS parking lot
- The Bike Safety Rodeo helps children learn and practice bicycle safety skills
- Activities include helmet fittings (free helmets will be given to those who do not have one), basic bicycle safety checks, and an on-bicycle safety obstacle course.
- Upon completion of each safety station, each child will receive an official “Bicycle License” and a coupon for a free treat from Chick-fil-A.
Public Safety Day
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at the Purcellville Safety Center
- A celebration of both National Police Week and EMS Week with a fun day of exploration and learning.
- Activities include meet and greet with state, county, and local first responders; displays of police, fire, and rescue apparatus; demonstrations; activities; bouncy house; petting of therapy animals; and treats for children. Lunch will be available for purchase as a fundraiser for the Purcellville Volunteer Rescue Squad.
- The following agencies are participating: American Red Cross, Loudoun Abused Women’s Shelter (LAWS), Leesburg Police Department, Boulder Crest Foundation, and the Virginia State Police with their Distracted Driving Program.
The Pedal Purcellville staging area and Bike Safety Rodeo will take place in the LVHS parking lot located near the track and field entrance. Participants are asked to park their vehicles in the lots in front of the school and the spaces closest to the auditorium (on the left side facing the building), with overflow lots on the right side of the school. Parking for the Public Safety Day will be in the open field across from the Purcellville Public Safety Center, or participants can park at LVHS and walk to the Safety Center utilizing the paved pathway.
In addition, children can pick up an activities “passport” at the Pedal Purcellville/Bike Safety Rodeo, which includes a check off list of events, as well as a fun, interactive scavenger hunt. All children who participate and turn in their completed passports to the Purcellville Police Department will receive a participation ribbon, and be entered into a drawing for a prize.
Thank you to all our sponsors who have donated prizes and to Bicycles and Coffee for providing staffing for the bicycle safety checks. Our sponsors include Chick-fil-A, Hamilton Mercantile, Bicycles and Coffee, and Velo Classique.