Monthly Nature Walks
The Purcellville Parks and Recreation Advisory Board hosts a series of monthly nature walks the last Sunday of each month at the Chapman DeMary Trail. The walks are led by local experts and are free! Register online!
Until further notice, the walks have been canceled to limit the spread of COVID-19.
The 2020 schedule is below. Unless otherwise noted, the walks begin at 1 p.m.
• January 26: Birds in the Winter with the Purcellville Library
Check out the booklet called "Birds of the Chapman DeMary Trail" with information reprinted with permission from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology (learn more at www.allaboutbirds.org) and photos by the Town Parks and Recreation Division Manager,
• February 23: How plants and animals adapt to winter, led by Paul Miller, a lifetime member of the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy, a Virginia Master Naturalist, and a retired Loudoun County Public Schools administrator
• March 29: Pollinators! Make a seed pot to take home with seeds for plants that attract pollinators, led by Nancy Reaves (canceled)
• April 26: Clear out the weeds and plant plants that pollinators need with Julie Borneman of Watermark Woods. Bring your own gloves and something to drink! (canceled)
• May 31: Adopt a Tree at the Chapman DeMary Trail with Carol Ivory of the Loudoun County Tree Stewards (canceled)
• June 28: Catch and Count Creek Critters with the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy (canceled)
• July 26: Nature journaling with Nancy Reaves
• August 30: Eco-printing and dyeing with Nancy Reaves
• September 27: Storybook Trails with Loudoun County
• October 25: Learn how to use iNaturalist with Ranger Rob of the Loudoun Valley Community Center
• November 29: Learn how to identify trees in the winter with Carol Ivory of the Loudoun County Tree Stewards
• December 27: Take a wintry walk with the Purcellville Library