Land Development & Construction

Construction Permitting

The Department of Planning and Zoning handles all zoning construction permits for the Town. Building permits are issued by the Loudoun County Department of Building and Development (external link) after a zoning permit has been issued by the Town. Please verify the building permit requirements for your project with the County prior to construction. In addition to zoning permits the Town also processes sign and occupancy permits. Construction in the non-residential zoning districts may require Board of Architectural Review approval before a zoning permit can be issued. Completed permit application packages are accepted by the Department Monday through Friday 9am – 3pm (holidays observed).

FY21 Master Tax and Fee Schedule

Zoning Permit Application (for new buildings, additions, alterations, accessory structures, etc)

Sign Permit Application (for permanent signage)

Temporary Sign Application (for temporary special events etc)

Residential Occupancy Permit Application (for new homes and finished basements)

Commercial Occupancy Permit (for commercial uses)

Certificate of Design Approval Application (for BAR projects)

New Businesses

The Department also assists businesses seeking to open or relocate in Town. This includes “storefront” businesses in the commercial districts and home occupation businesses (relatively low impact businesses permitted in the residential districts). Occupancy permits or home occupation permits are required before the Finance Department can issue a business license, for more information on the business licensing in Town, please click Here.

Home Based Business Permit

New Business Guide

Economic Development Advisory Committee

Land Development

In addition to permitting, the Department also processes applications for land development such as site plans, subdivision plats, rezonings, and special use permits. Site Plans and Subdivision Plats are reviewed by the administrative staff. The Town also has subdivision review authority for the Joint Land Management Area (JLMA). Rezonings and special use permits are reviewed by the administrative staff before being reviewed by the Planning Commission and Town Council, as required by the Code of Virginia.

Land Development and Subdivision Control Ordinance

Facility Standards Manual

Request for Formal Pre-Submission Conference Application

Site Plan Application Package

Subdivision Application Package

Rezoning Application Package

Special Use Permit Application Package

Tree and Shrub List with Prohibited Plants